Thursday, February 26, 2015

The Beginning

Whenever you typically hear someone mention mindfulness you might think of a yogi meditating for hours in nothing but nature. The person who has reached such a state of understanding that they no longer struggle with emotions, feelings, or impulses.  However this is not the case. 
Mindfulness is defined as the following:

1.
the quality or state of being conscious or aware of something.
"their mindfulness of the wider cinematic tradition"
2.
a mental state achieved by focusing one's awareness on the present moment, while calmly acknowledging and accepting one's feelings, thoughts, and bodily sensations, used as a therapeutic technique
 
Or more simply put, it is the moment in which you pause to consider your thoughts, feelings and repercussions before making an action.  It is with this definition that I perceive and try to structure my life to being mindful as much as possible. 
 
This is not my first journey into the blogosphere space.  I was first inspired to write and share my thoughts and experience when encountering a personal tragedy in the fall and summer of 2011.  You can read more about that learning experience here.  I also ran a group blog for an educational trip to western India in Winter 2013. You can also read about that here. After I felt that I had fulfilled and wrote all I needed to write on those subjects, I stopped blogging for over two years.  I felt that I needed to wait until I walked through more of life and learned more before sharing more about my journey, my failures/successes, and the pursuit of what I now know as to be mindfulness.  The purpose of this blog is to be real with my thoughts, learning, experiences, failures and successes.  It is my hope that through what I have learned and experienced, that it might inspire or help at least one person. 
 
The pursuit of balance and mindfulness enters every crevice of my life: emotional, spiritual, physical, relational and professional.  So as I am forming this blog around the pinnacle of mindfulness, there will be a variety of topics that I discuss that mindfulness does relate to in the way they are handled and experienced.  I look forward of sharing my past, present and future journey with you.

No comments:

Post a Comment